We’re passionate about helping people connect and re-connect with God. This guide outlines a way to join this mission through the five simple practices of BLESS.
WHY WE BLESS
We BLESS to join God’s work in the world. He has commissioned us to make disciples (Matt 28:18-20) and to go and be a blessing to others (Gen 12:1-3). This means that blessing others and seeing people come to know, love and serve Jesus are linked together!
If you do at least one of these BLESS practices every day, you will grow in your connection with Jesus, and you will help others find Jesus, too!
Begin With Prayer
“God, may your kingdom come and your will be done. Please provide me with an opportunity today to bless someone. Help me be aware of your presence and your leading today.”
Who do you live, work, and play with that is far from God?
Pray that God would create spiritual curiosity in them, and then spend time with them.
“God, how do you want me to bless the world today? Help me to listen to and discover the needs of others and to see where you’re at work.”
Before you can help others find Jesus, you need to listen to them first – their hopes, pain, challenges and dreams.
In your interactions with others today, take the posture of a learner. Lay down your assumptions, and practice being present.
Pay attention to the local news and ask God how you can meet needs in your area.
Eating (or sharing a common experience) is one of the fastest ways to move a relationship from acquaintance to friendship.
- Who can you eat with (or have a coffee with) that is far from God? A co-worker over lunch? A neighbor during the day? A friend or family member over the weekend?
- Is there a place that you regularly visit (coffee shop, gym, etc.)? Ask God to grant you opportunities to share common experiences with people.
Before jumping into serving, have you taken the time to pray for, listen to, and eat with these people? Doing these things first helps you discover the way that you can best serve and honor them.
- Who can you serve this week?
- Who do you know that has a practical need? Ask them how you can help them
You can’t spell BLESS without the second S. In other words, sharing the story of God with others is necessary to participate in God’s mission (Matt 28:18-20).
Here are some tips on how to share the story of God with others:
- Start by sharing how God has blessed you and made a difference in your life.
- Share your story in such a way that demonstrates that God is also at work in their life.
- Don’t feel like you have to tell your life story at once. Think “bite-size” stories.
BEGIN WITH PRAYER
I will pray for the people in my life and the places that I’m in.
I will listen to and discover the needs of others and see where God is at work.
I will share meals and spend time with people in my life.
I will respond to the needs of others and help them in practical and impactful ways.
I will share the story of Jesus and what He is doing in my life.
Your Next Steps
Every day, intentionally look for ways to BLESS others.
Commit to asking the people you share life with this question, “Who did you BLESSthis week?” We’re better together. Encourage and help one another along the way.